Milky Way Astrophotography in Joshua Tree with Stan Moniz
July 6 @ 7:30 pm - July 7 @ 1:30 am| $275.00
Enjoy an evening under the stars with with professional adventure photographer and Sony ambassador Stan Moniz. This event will be held in Joshua Tree national park, home to some of the darkest skies in Southern California. Stan designed this workshop to be an enjoyable experience covering basic camera theory and details to capturing the beauty of the night sky. Key points include the 500 rule, how to capture sharp stars, light painting, composition, the use of filters to eliminate light pollution, capturing star trails in one single exposure and on-phone editing with the use of Adobe Lightroom mobile.
Things to bring and know
1. Wide angle lens ranging from 11 – 35mm This is dependent on whether your camera is a crop or full frame sensor.
2. A sturdy tripod.
3. Head lamp.
4. Sturdy shoes for mild hiking is recommenced.
5. The Hoya Intensifier filter (used to eliminate light pollution) .
6. Download the Adobe Lightroom application on your phone for on sight editing.
7. SD to lighting cable for your phone to import raw image files to your phone.
8. Extra batteries / SD cards.
9. Warm clothing as the park can sometimes cool down at night.
10. Last but not least, an awesome attitude! Hope to see you all at Joshua Tree national park.
All cameras are welcome. *Please familiarize yourself with your camera body and lens first before workshop date. This will help greatly with a successful evening of photography out in the field.
If you decide to rent a camera body and lens, consider a Sony a7sII, Sony a7III or Sony a7rIII and a wide angle lens. This is Stan’s tried and true setup for astrophotography and he highly recommends it for every student.
The fee to enter Joshua Tree National Park is not included in the workshop fee. *Disclaimer – Nature is unpredictable. Workshops will be rescheduled and students will be notified if Stan feels weather will inhibit the workshop.